Thursday, August 14, 2008

First Day of School

z1 z2

Heavah and Xavier started their first day of school today. It turned out great. However, it has taken some adjustment to get used to the major differences between their school here and the schools back in Dubai (AAG -as mentioned before - and Royal Dubai School).

I am mourning a little bit over the great facilities the kids had in Dubai:

z1

z2

But, just like Nepal, my kids will be experiencing a more raw/authentic school:

z1 z1 z2

z9

z4

Dubai also had a very strong focus on academics, while Nepal is more focused on the social aspect of the child. I have a feeling there will be lots of hugs given to my children and they will know a heck of a lot about saving trees and liberal arts.

z7

Recycled markers for art. Nothing goes to waste.

There is also a lot of emphasis on 'learning through play' and a ton of extra curricular activities from Nepali dancing to knitting and bread making. It is definitely something different than what were were used to in Dubai.

z1

I am looking forward to seeing how my children will be shaped through the experience they will have at their new school. I have also resolved to provide homeschooling as well each day. We have been doing this since we left Dubai and I am currently transforming a room in my home devoted to learning and teaching (more about this later). The fact of the matter is, my children will gain most of their education from home and our overseas travels. This is what Axel and I resolved when we said goodbye to the states for many years to come.

z1

So, happy day to my kids on their first day of school. And here's to a new experience.

3 comments:

Nortorious said...

Love Xavier's hairstyle. Very cute.

Anna said...

Then it sounds like you're ready for some Art Through the Ages. Coincidentally I have some of that.... Now how to get it to you.

Boquinha said...

WOW! Don't stress too much about school--the experience your kids are getting is worth more than they could ever possibly manufacture with textbooks. SO awesome.