Thamel is full of awesome shops. They have some of the coolest stuff from hemp clothing to yak bone knives. One of the shops you can't miss are the embroidery shops. I have a special love for embroidery as I bought myself a pretty simple embroidery machine several years back.
I haven't done much with it lately cause it can be a pain in the butt. First, I have to turn it on. Then, I have the change the thread. And finally, I have to press start. Too much work.
An outfit I made for Heavah
I wondered how they could make such elaborate designs here in Kathmandu. I envisioned one of those machines they have at the mall kiosks where you can buy the 'I Love My Grandma' t-shirts.
Not so. Instead, they use this machine:
And instead of using those fancy computer cards I use to plug into my machine, they do everything freestyle. They must think I am weird cause I stand and watch them in awe. How do they have the patience? How can they do it so well? What, no 'Start' button?
And they want 4 bucks for this embroidered dragon on a t-shirt?
You couldn't pay me enough.
2 comments:
Wow! That is so amazing! They must have infinite patience!
I love reading your blog and learning so much about where you are.
We have noticed as we have traveled that even though the U.S. is supposed to be such an "industrialized" nation - other countries truly understand "industry". I think you would be hard pressed to find many in this country willing to do what so many do in other countries just to get by.
Post a Comment