Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Clothes

As you can tell from my last post, I have been living with so few items of clothing these past few months I am not quite sure what to do with all the possibilities of my new arrival. What goes with what? What fits right? What should be saved for a fancy deal and what can be trashed? I never knew how much thinking I used to put into all of this. And it is not just me. Now that the kids don't have uniforms for school, the task is that much harder. It was fine when my kids would wear something totally ridiculous at home, but displaying it for all to see (where kids who may have some fashion sense will be) kind of worries me.

I have to admit, the first feeling I had as my maids uncovered the many boxes of clothing I possessed was pure guilt. Dress after dress they would comment on its beauty, its colour, its shape. It was humbling to think that even when I had my small pile of clothing, it was still more than what they owned. However, the other feeling I felt was excitement that I can now sort out what I need and the rest can go in a box ready to be given to someone who needs it far more than I do.

z2

Opening one of the billion clothing boxes

In fact, our old room that once was used to dry out our clothing during this monsoon season has now become a place where I not only keep my dryer (which really can't be used much because it sucks all the electricity out of this house), but also a place that holds all the 'give away' boxes. Each box is labelled and we will give out as many items as we see the need. I am thrilled.

z1

Our drying/storage room

z1

Our American sized dryer (which was a rare find in Dubai)

In addition to the dryer, there is so much joy in having a washing machine. Even if it is a small machine (can't really purchase one of those 'American washers' here and Dubai didn't even allow the space for anything big near the washer pipe), it is a small miracle whenever you choose the setting and push start. In fact, when the movers arrived with our goods my maids kept asking, 'Is that the washing machine?' 'How about this one, is this it?' They were both so done with spending hours scrubbing with brushes to get out all of those nasty stains.

z3 z2

Our old method of washing Our new method of washing

The point is, I have too much clothing and now I am painfully aware of this fact. Nepal makes you realize this and also makes you realize that fashion is what is comfortable and what is colourful. (They love their lime greens and fluorescence oranges). Which makes my wardrobe seem quite drab.

z1

So, clean out the closets, get rid of the stained and drabby clothing and send it Nepal way. There is always someone here who could use it. AND I would be happy to wash it for you when it get here.

5 comments:

shauna said...

I think you are going to make a lot of new friends with new washing machine!

shauna said...

the new washing machine.

Sally said...

I will send my clothes to Nepal if I can come with them for a visit! I love reading your blog.

Wendi and Eric said...

In Hawaii, pretty much everyone in my ward of 600 members doesn’t have either washer or dryer; so many of my friends come to do their laundry at our house. Of course, they at least have the option of a laundry mat. I assume there are no laundry mats in Nepal. Enyoy all your new found clothes!

Here at home said...

I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends with all the clothes give away, too.
I just got rid of all my clothes. My closet is quite bare, I must say.