Even though I am living a pretty exotic life overseas, there are the times when I want to feel domestic and western. If I could, I would live a dual life, one where I am living in a cottage home, on the east coast, close to the ocean and lots of trees. I would bake cute cupcakes for my kids and duplicate all of the Pottery Barn catalogues. The other life would be the one I am living now. I wouldn't change a thing. I suppose this is the burden one must have for having too many passions.
Speaking of passions, I have revisited one of mine since our things have arrived, smocking. I have been smocking ever since my oldest was a toddler and the many babies in my life have kept me busy ever since. It has been the perfect hobby for me as a busy mom and I could take it anywhere and do it anytime.
My girlfriend from Delaware, Shelly, and I had a love for sewing. Her talent greatly exceeded mine, but I was determined to revive my teenage pastime of sewing so we could blow off some of our 'stay at home mom' steam. While we were at the JoAnn fabric store perusing the many pattern books we came across one of the Vogue smocking patterns. For a brief moment, I believe time stopped. We sat there in awe, barely saying a word. Wow, how do people do that? It is beautiful.
My interest would have probably stopped there, passing it off as a 'too difficult' art. Plus, don't you have to be over 70 to do that? However, my friend was undaunted. She made a few phone calls that week and found a place where they would teach us. I was thrilled to enroll in the class and the amazing woman, Sonja, who taught us had all the confidence in the world that we could master the art. Every week, Shelly and I would meet at each other's house and smock. The world could have fallen apart around us (and it did many-a-times with 5 kids under 4 reeking continual havoc), but we found a la, la land that we couldn't escape. It was pure bliss. We talked about everything under the sun and solved all the worlds problems. Who knew smocking would produce such wonder? It was our therapy and I craved it every single week.
I am forever grateful to my friend, Shelly and my teacher, Sonja. For without them, my daughter would not have the heirlooms I have made over the years. Oh, and professional counselling would have cost a bundle!
Here are some sample projects:
Payton - My first bishop dress
Sunflower on the Mary De, made of navy corduroy with the Delaware fall leaves
Scarecrows on the Mary De
Anne pattern, made up design
China Girl
Hula Bears (my own dress pattern)
Sailor Girl
A dress I made while visiting my parents in South Africa.
A Christmas bishop made on raw silk
Polar Persuasion on blue corduroy. Pattern: Mary De
Leap'n Lizards. On adapted Lily pattern.
I have probably 50 more dresses to showcase, so I will revisit this subject again. In fact, I have two projects in the works. Maybe the pressure of the blog will help me get them done. Now if I could just stop my kids from growing, I could actually get more use out of these dresses!
9 comments:
I am so jealous of this talent! I am a novis smocker and could not even dream of doing this! Great job!
Beautiful dresses! If I ever have a girl, I will have to solicit your help. Ok the heat is on. I am excited to see your next project.
I am a total lurker of your blog! Your work is lovely. I am so impressed and feel sad because my kids are getting bigger and I "missed my chance" on this one! Maybe Grandkids.
The picture with the Delaware autumn made me smile, we are in Elkton and those colors are just around the corner. I also loved your post a while ago about your house. When we moved here we felt the same way, we basically made an offer before walking inside the house, after months of looking at dives... the neighborhood and trees-- TREES sold us. (it was late October... so pretty.) Were you in the Wilmington Stake? Maybe your sewing friend could teach me. :)
You are amazing! I am sure that dresses like that could sell for a tidy sum of money in a consignment shop here if you could ever bear to part with them!
Zana - I have seen your art (on your site) and it is beautiful! I think whatever you take up, you will master. Find a smocking teacher and get started!
Wendi - Thanks! Too bad you only have boys. Is is never as much fun when it comes to clothes. I am having a hard time feeling inspired with my son.
Melissa - We drove through Elkton often when we went to Maryland. LOVE that area during the fall. I miss it soooo much during that time of year.
Summer - Thanks! I don't think I am ready to part with any of my creations. Even if I don't like them after they are made, I can't get rid of them.
Wow. You're work is great! I tried teaching myself smocking for a blessing gown 5 years ago. It didn't work out well. LOL
smocking - something I've always wanted to try! Maybe one of these days I'll finally try it. You do beautiful work, how long does one dress take to smock?
I am so happy you recorded all of them. Not that you would ever get rid but how wonderful to see them all. Alas, Emma is too old. She's interested in tank tops. That's almost as cute, right?
Wowzers. I wouldn't have guessed, Terah, and yet I'm not surprised. Great job! Man, I like seeing pics of Heavah and Xavier so little--what cuties!!
Post a Comment