Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Off to School


The kids started school on the 25th of August.  I know, I am behind with my blogging.  That is what happens when I actually have to cook my own meals and make sure the kids get out the door dressed and ready for school on my own.  It is a hard life, I know.  

Doha has been impossible to enroll my kids in school.  I have actually been laughed at when I asked if there were any openings the day before school started.  The American School of Doha has a waiting list of 71 children for Grade 1.  It has been a grueling process to say the least.  Doha is obviously flooding with expat kids and not enough schools. 

We finally found a school that was specialized and radical enough that there were some openings.  The kids are now attending The International School of Choueifat (also known as a SABIS network school).  It is a Lebanese school but it has campuses throughout the world (including Phoenix, Minnesota, NY).  The school is well-known for its discipline and high academic standards.  It also expects a lot of responsibility and accountability from the students. 

Heavah is in Grade 2 and Xavier is in Grade 1.  Sedona will be starting Kindergarten 1 after Ramadan in October. ( Children legally have to be enrolled in school by 4 years).  I am not sure how I feel about the philosophy of the school, but since Xavier and Heavah have both been in kindergarten for the past 3 years--and spinning their wheels--I thought I would give it a try.  So far, they love it.  Heavah insisted on learning Arabic again and Xavier is learning French.  They seem to be okay with the tough schedules and high expectations.  As long as they are okay with it, so am I.  

The kids started school only days after we arrived in Doha.  I thought I was so on the ball because I had their uniforms bought and ready to go.  I then realized that I forgot to pack socks.  Why would they possibly need socks in a desert? Now, I know. They wore Axel's socks and rolled them WAY down.  It looked like they had doughnuts on their ankles.  I also forgot shoes for Xavier so he did the unspeakable--socks with sandals.  It was hard to watch them walk to school without either laughing, or feeling like I was a horrible mother. I opted for the laugh.  

I have put my kids in a few schools over the past 3 years (4 schools so far), and I have noticed that there are a lot of opinions about education and how children should be taught.  Some believe children should go to school at 7; others believe they should learn to read by 3; some feel that learning can only be done through play; others believe that discipline is the secret for a future Ivy league child.  I feel like the parent knows best, and ultimately, the real learning is done at home.  I am pretty hands-on with my children's education so I am not that neurotic about the various theories.  My belief is that education should compliment experience, not the other way around.  

1 comment:

Boquinha said...

Well said. You hear SO MUCH about the theories and philosophies in homeschooling circles here. TONS! Unschooling, classical education, child-driven, Montessori, the list is endless. We love learning about them and incorporating what works for us and throwing out what doesn't. :)