During this long, drawn out phase it is fun to see my life unfold. Where will I live; what hobbies will we begin; what talents will we discover; what stores will we enjoy visiting; what restaurants will be our favorite, etc.? These questions help me keep going. It is the unknown that makes me love this kind of life. We call it 'spice'.
The questions during this phase invoke feelings of excitement and frustration. As much as I am thrilled to find out where we will live, I am equally frustrated with how expensive and cramped the housing options are. It is also balanced with sadness from where I left. It is difficult to revisit the past and think, 'Awe, when I lived in X it was so much easier to do this.' Then again, if I lived in X, I wouldn't have the chance to see what else could be easier. We have lived in enough places to know there is good and bad and you must learn to accentuate the positive. Axel and I often have a date night discussion about the following question: 'Give me your ideal day if you could be in several countries at once.' Mine would be this: Wake in Canada and have a hearty breakfast with back bacon and real maple syrup. Head to Split, Croatia and buy fresh fruits from the market. Go to an opera in Vienna. Eat lunch in Hungary. Go to the temple in Switzerland. Shop in Thamel. Swim in Thailand. Jungle explore in Bali. Eat dinner at a swanky hotel in Dubai. Sleep under the star-filled sky in southern Utah.
Although this time is uncomfortable, it is also thrilling. It is a pleasant (or sometimes unpleasant) way of seeing how my life will work in a new environment and amongst new people. To me, the unknown is what makes life interesting and fun. It is spice, and I like mine extra hot.
No comments:
Post a Comment