Thursday, August 20, 2009

Two More Hours




In order from left to right: Ritu (TM/BA), Anindra (BA), Suresh (IT), Poshak (CFO), a hot housewife, an ex GM, Arun (microinsurance A&H),  Bhupesh (CSC), Sumita (HR), Basant (training), Nirmal (CMO) and Surya (Group).  

We are two hours away from getting in the car and leaving Nepal for good.  Last night was a wave of a million emotions and during my farewell dinner with my Heads of Departments  So many good people to say goodbye to.  It was really tough.  As I looked around to all the people who where there I thought about all we had been through together and I felt really honored to have worked with them all.


Dasrath (COO and my GM replacement), the Punisher, Ram (U/W head)

People say that business is cut throat and Hollywood likes to portray it in its worse possible light.  In my few years of experience in the 'for profit' world I have seen 99% good.  Good people trying to help each other working together as friends for a common cause.  

And it has been especially that way here in Nepal.  It honestly was a family.  We had some tough times and a few disagreements, but no more than a normal family.  We went through three major issues and came out on the other side stronger and in a better position than when we went into them.  

It really is with sadness that I leave these people.  I only hope I get a chance to work with them again in the future.

Then on top of that we had to say goodbye to our staff.  Sarita did not get her visa to come as a tourist, so we are flying out tonight just the family.  Even though we are going to get Sarita and Debendra (our driver, guard, fellow orchid collector, animal doctor and all around big brother for the kids) visas over the next few weeks, it is still hard to say goodbye to them.  The others it is especially hard as we will probably never see them again.  Gotam (Terah's eye candy), Najouman (our resident Maoist), Namaste (old man who we never knew his name) and of course Hari dai.  Hari built 90% of the things we had here, took care of all the animals, and has a great relationship with Asa.   It was a teary goodbye to say the least.  


From left to right :Najuman, Gotam, Dona, Sarita, Asa, Terah, Xay, Me, Kopila, Heavah, Hari and Debendra.  Namaste is missing.

One of the things that is tough about living overseas is constantly having to say goodbye.  And not becoming jaded to the process.  Even though you know what is coming, making new friends is one of the best things about this lifestyle.  

In the end we are all just passing each other in this life.  Which is getting shorter and shorter.  If I live as long as I have lived, I will be 80.  Will I make it to 80?  Maybe, but even if I do, I only have as much time coming as has already passed.  It is going to fly by regardless.  It is more than comforting to know that one day Terah and I will see these people again.  Whether in this life or the one to come.  We always tell each other when we finally do die, not too many people will be able to come to our funeral as everyone will be scattered around, wherever that random place will be that it is going to held.  But that the party on the other side will be overflowing with great people.  And that isn't so bad at all.

2 comments:

Sally said...

I have loved reading about your experiences in Nepal and I am sorry they are coming to an end. I hope you will share the ins and outs of your new life in Qatar. Best of luck with your move!

Sally said...

P.S. Terah, I loved the post with all the clothing you designed...how fun! Did you ever do any jewelry?