Friday, August 7, 2009

Qatar


As of yesterday, it is official.  We are moving to Doha, Qatar.  It is a small country on the Persian Gulf.  It is surrounded by Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE (Dubai).  The move doesn't have anything to do with the safety issues in Nepal.  Axel was offered a promotion.  He will be the Country Manager over 4 countries (Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait and Qatar).  Careerwise, it is a good move for our family.  

Axel and I went to visit this past weekend and what a change.  It took us the whole time to get over the culture shock.  I think it was worse knowing that we were going to actually move there.  Although it is so much like Dubai (but smaller) I still couldn't visualize our family living anywhere else outside of Nepal.  Even knowing my life in Dubai, I have been forever changed since I have lived in Nepal.  

I would be lying if I said I was overly excited about the move.  Yes, Doha has electricity; yes, it has clean water; yes, it has beaches and civilization; and no, it doesn't have visible garbage.  However, there is a soul that is missing.  I have realized I am a Third World kind of gal.  I enjoy the messiness and chaos that is Nepal.  I knew my stay here would not be forever, but I can't help but be saddened that it ended much too quickly.  

During our trip to Doha we looked for housing and schools.  Despite the economic downturn, and unlike Dubai, Qatar has a very healthy and growing economy.  Housing is extremely expensive (our temporary 3 bedroom apartment will cost the same as our 10 bedroom house here).  The schools are packed and despite the $16,000 tuition per kid, no more applications are accepted.  Children are put on a waiting list the year before they begin class.  It has been discouraging.  We may put the kids in a well-known Lebanese private school.  We will see.  School starts in two weeks.  

We will be bringing our one didi, Sarita.  She lived in Kuwait for 5 years before she worked for us.  She is familiar with the Middle East and has family that lives there.  Kopila decided she wanted to stay in Nepal and we have found her a US family who will employ her in October.  Axel has worked something out for the rest of our staff.  We will be bringing our driver, Devendra, when Axel's visa is completed and we have living quarters for him.  Devendra also has a brother in Qatar.    

I was a little comforted during our visit because I saw so many Nepalese people.  They have the highest concentration of Nepalis per capita in the world.  I seemed to use 'Namaste' far more than 'Salam Alaykum' during my visit.   I don't appreciate the Nepali people nearly enough.  They are humble, kind, and good-hearted people.  I just wanted to hug every single Nepali I saw.  I am glad I will be surrounded by them in Doha.  

The transition won't be fun, but I am used to it.  I am excited about the new adventure but a huge piece of my heart is in Nepal.  The chances of me ever returning to this country are small.  Maybe to visit, never to live.  I will miss the people, the weather, and the colourful soul of Nepal.  We will be making the move in about a week and a half.  I must absorb all of Nepal's goodness.  From today, the heat is on.  

Literally.   

3 comments:

Boquinha said...

You know, it's interesting. When I lived on a 3rd world island in West Africa, I adjusted QUITE quickly. I fell in love with it and I know what you mean about it having a soul. Then when I returned to Europe and later the United States, I experienced a culture shock *much* more jolting than the one that had been so much easier when I got to Cape Verde. I call it reverse culture shock and it is a MUCH bigger adjustment.

Jackie said...

Qatar is the 2nd richest country in the world. I wonder which number Nepal is???
You know, Bahrain has school places and plenty of affordable housing, if you struggle in Doha, come over here!

Art Through the Ages said...

Boo hoo. But you will find the good as you always do. It's your gift. Axel is so lucky to have married such a talent. I can't' wait to hear (or read) all about it.