We were supposed to leave on Wednesday but we just found out that Sarita's visa is going to require more time. We have delayed our flight until Friday. The movers have taken everything except our beds. We are living in a hollow shell again.
The only happy part of this sad story is that I have more time to make one or two more items to add to my collection. Here is my story:
My jeans tailors, or shall I say the 'Jean Masters.' They can make anything and everything. They tell me that they are charging me more because I am white. I am completely okay with it. It is a whole $10 to make a pair of tailored jeans, including the denim. If it was any less I would be considered a slave driver.
We also copied Deondra's shorts and made them g-compliant. The one on the right is the original, the other two are copies.
Mom's first dress. She bought this pattern in Canada. I had a red one made, she had a pink one made.
I tried this outfit on in Malaysia at the coolest store - British India. I loved it so much and wanted to buy it. It was almost $400. The cost was hard for me to swallow knowing that I could have it made in Nepal for a fifth of the price. British India is a Malaysian company and they don't have a website. I drew up the plans by memory and my mom and I had it made. It is a silk ruffled top with a light linen flare skirt. I have a long and short version of this skirt and two ruffled shirts - one royal blue and one Christmas green. Love them.
The shirt is a copy of an Ann Taylor shirt I found on the web. The skirt is a Nepali design that my friend Stephany found. By my mom and Stephany now have the same skirt. How hot does my 66 year old mother look?
This is the original copy:
Here is Deondra's love. She found the picture below on the net and decided she had to have it for her semi formal at school. She looks amazing in this color and I dare say she looks better than the model!
This is the famous wrap shirt. Michelle wore a white version of this wrap shirt with these cute linen brown pants when we had lunch together. Stephany and I loved the outfit so much we decided to copy it completely. My mom also loved it and copied my version. Michelle paid $60 at Ann Taylor for the shirt. Little did she know that her shirt would be copied 7 times over for a total cost of the original!
This is my design. I also bought the fabric at a Buddhist holy site.
An Ann Taylor knock off. I had this shirt also made in black.
The original:
This skirt fabric was used for various shirts and skirts. Both Michelle and Stephany had a few things made out of this fabric. It flows so well and feels so great. The top is the red version, the bottom is the black.
This is about a third of the clothing I have had made in Nepal. Most of my items are already in Qatar and have yet to be worn. I will display more when I have time, if I have time.
I can't tell you how much fun it has been to choose the fabrics, choose the colors, and determine the style. Most of my creations have worked, a couple have been duds. The duds are usually remade into something for Sedona or Heavah. I am going to be so bored in Qatar shopping malls. Where's the fun in going into a shop and buying a shirt?
Boring.
PS - Please excuse all the lame poses and cheesy smiles. This was done while I am moving from one continent to another. No time for make up or accessories. Nothing professional, just mere documentation.




5 comments:
AWESOME post. I am sending my fashion-sensed SILs over here. Pronto.
Hi! I'm one of Stacy's "fashion-sensed SILs." This is amazing stuff. I love the idea of custom tailored jeans and tops. (I'm super tall and length is always an issue.) What a great thing to shop at the great stores online and then have them made for WAY cheaper. Now that's the life!
Wow, what a wardrobe. I think what you have shown so far is more clothes than I have in my entire closet!
Are the clothes well made and do they last?
How fun for your niece to be able to say that her dress was custom made overseas!
Overall I am just jealous. I have lots of ideas in my head that I wish I could have someone else make. What a fun experience to share.
Love it all Terah!! My favourite is the "Better Homes & Gardens" dress. If you weren't leaving in a few days I'd ask you to have an exact copy made for me :-) -it's far more in line with my taste than what I can find here. Enjoy your last few days of shopping in Nepal!!
How fun! What talent those tailors have! Wish I could do that!
Post a Comment