Monday, August 24, 2009

We Made It


Before we left Nepal, we had to have a tikka session.  It wouldn't be right without one.  Our entire staff gave us an elaborate farewell party.  I sobbed the entire time.  I felt so blessed to have had this experience.   I felt very lucky because A) Very few people are given the opportunity to live in Nepal; B) If given the opportunity to live in Nepal, very few people would take it. It has changed me forever.

Here are some photos of our farewell: 

Asa refused the tikka again.  He is not one for formalities, especially Nepali formalities.  





When we got off the plane, Sedona had to tell us that Qatar was a 'heating one'.  She was right.  In the middle of the night it was well over 100 degrees.  Also, unlike most other desert climates, Qatar is humid.  I am so glad we are showing up at the tail end of summer.  Better days are ahead.  

Our temporary home is just fine.  It is a spacious 3 bedroom overlooking the Persian Gulf. It is so soothing and calming to look at clean, clear water.  I forgot how great that really is.  
Our heap of stuff.  Transporting 4 kids under 6 years old requires goods, and lots of them.  
Our bedroom overlooking the Gulf
Xavier and Asa's room
Our view outside of the living room
Driving in Doha

I questioned how I was going to adjust to life in Qatar.  I expected that my love for Nepal would cloud all my judgements of this place.  Admittedly, as soon as I got into the Carrefour (the local hypermart) I about died.  For once, I wasn't there to store things in my bags and bring them several hundred miles home.  Instead, I simply buy, put in my car and drive home.  Novel, I tell you.  I was giddy.  

Axel and I had to talk about this for a while.  We liken the experience to this:  Remember when you dated that ubercute guy/girl in college?  Even though he/she is a little conservative and boring, and you know that he/she isn't someone you want to stay with forever, it is sure fun to hang out and be seen with that person.   Although you know that the other guy/girl you used to go out with was really interesting, eccentric, and helped you grow as a person, he/she was just not that attractive.  

I know I will eventually want to get back with my eccentric mate in the future, but I am so thrilled to have my rich and handsome play date for a little while.  

2 comments:

Boquinha said...

What a great picture--that bottom one of you guys and your staff. Thanks for blogging your adventure. I think back to when you guys were in Dubai and we'd only hear a smidgen in Christmas letters. I wanted you to blog soooooooooooo badly. I'm so glad you do now.

sunnyside said...

How beautiful! This looks like a place I would like to come visit. Start having Axel work on Jake.