Friday, August 14, 2009

Henna

The movers are coming in an hour to take our air shipment. I guess this is really happening. We were supposed to leave on Monday, but we are waiting for Sarita's visa to be finalized. It looks like we won't be Qatar bound until Wednesday. I am happy. It just means I can have more things made before I leave. 


Before my mom and Deondra left, they wanted to do henna.  It is big in this area of the world.  Instead of contending with the traffic to New Road, we bought a henna tube (.10 cents) and asked Axel to do what he does best. 
The henna plant produces an extract that can dye certain pigments like skin and hair.  I can thank henna for the colour of my hair.  When I had one of my many hair disasters, I grabbed a tube of henna, and voila! I am a brunette again with little or no damage to my hair.  My didis use it religiously on their hair.They claim it brings a better shine and colour to their hair.   The kids call it cow poop as it has a similar texture and fragrance.  Knowing how the hindu feel about cows, I am sure they take this as a compliment.     





Henna isn't FDA approved.  That is why you don't see much of it in the US.  Or, maybe they don't approve because they have seen enough of these bad henna dye jobs...


that they want to keep it in South Asia, not in America.  

5 comments:

Summer said...

I have actually seen quite a few henna artists at festivals in London.

If Axel ever needs a second job, I am sure he could make some money doing that, although they are usually women.

Ryan and Brindi said...

fun! :) axel did a great job. i would have NEVER known that henna is used for hair too. cool stuff.

Tami said...

Axel is an amazing artist! I wish I had such talent. I love seeing all his pieces posted - that bookshelf carving is really gorgeous! Great job in all mediums, skin included :)

Boquinha said...

I've always wanted to use Henna for coloring my hair, but I'm scared of it for some reason. Anything I should know? I'm drawn to its all-naturalness and lack of chemicals!

Employee # 47851-6 said...

Axel has glasses?!
And awesome Henna, when I visit I want a henna drawing too!